Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Non-supporters?

 I get not everyone is concerned with their health. I mean, I can't say that I'm a total health nut, but I'm at a point in my life where I feel like I should be healthier. Mentally and physically, it will benefit me. I'm not working out because I feel like I'm fat or ugly. Would I like to lose twenty pounds? Sure! Would I love to have a toned tummy? You bet! But all in all, I want to be healthy. When I truly sat down and realized all the awful things I put in my body (Dr. Pepper was a main food group in my life, I swear), it was awful. I'm not saying I won't eat fried food (like that'd happen. I live in the South, guys. Fried food is food group here.), or burgers, or pizza anymore, but my goal is to make them treats or rareties in my diet. I like eating healthy, it makes me feel better about myself. I'm taking control and I'm changing something I don't like. I'm still shifting into the healthy habits, I'm a girl who loves pizza and cupcakes more than what is okay, but I'm trying.

With that being said, I think almost everyone has at least one friend who tries to get you to skip your work out, or eat that ice cream, or have a beer. The ones who don't support what you're doing and say, "You don't need the gym, your body is perfectly fine!" or "Oh, like you can't spare the calories." No one is ever mean about it, but the fact they encourage me to do the opposite of what I'm trying to do makes me feel bad. For example, Eli and I have cut out drinking for a now. It's not that we think it's bad, or that we do it too much, it's just that alcoholic beverages have so many calories! It's counter productive. Once we get on track with a solid schedule and eating habits, it'd be easy to reward ourselves without falling off the bandwagon, you know? But I have people say that it's silly and that we can spare the calories, or that we need to drink with them, or they'll be drinking alone. It's kind of like they are guilt tripping us without being mean. I don't like it. Not. At. All.

So what do you guys do when people say things like that to you? I try to just smile, laugh, and say, "Not tonight, ya'll!" Which is really hard because I sure love margaritas!

T

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had any non-supporters, but I would definitely call myself a social drinker. Typically if I'm out with friends, it's hard for me to say no to a drink. But lately since it's been so cold I've kind of been a hermit so I haven't been drinking much. Good for you for giving up alcohol for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It IS tough. It's fun to socially drink, so I try to make it a reward for good gym behavior! :)

      Delete